Has been maxi tours wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Engines made under licence in China.
Not anymore! Not since we showed them how to case harden the engine components properly. Just so you know...Yamaha, BMW, Suzuki and many more of the big boys have a lot of their engines made in China, mostly all at the same factory. For example, Sinnis (makers of superb motorcycles) have all their stuff made in the same factory as Yamaha, BMW and Suzuki. Not one of the Sinnis engines (based upon Suzuki engines) gives any problems even after really high mileages. Totally bullet proof!
This is inline with the way Chinese bikes are going in general. Much better quality and finished in a much more Japanese way.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'!
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Data wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:22 pm
Not anymore! Not since we showed them how to case harden the engine components properly. Just so you know...Yamaha, BMW, Suzuki and many more of the big boys have a lot of their engines made in China, mostly all at the same factory. For example, Sinnis (makers of superb motorcycles) have all their stuff made in the same factory as Yamaha, BMW and Suzuki. Not one of the Sinnis engines (based upon Suzuki engines) gives any problems even after really high mileages. Totally bullet proof!
This is inline with the way Chinese bikes are going in general. Much better quality and finished in a much more Japanese way.
I'm well aware that the big manufacturers have been having engines and complete bikes built in China for some time. As I've said all along, there's a world of difference between a Chinese factory employing western QC and those churning out domestic market crap. My main issue with stuff like this scooter (and the beardy hipster specials you see popping up everywhere now) is that you usually don't know where the manufacturers have sourced their engines.
I've also heard the 'they're improving all the time' argument many times before over the last ten years or so. I have had quite extensive exposure to Chinese machines and engines - I think I once listed the whole sorry litany of disaster in a post here a while back - and only one positive experience to call upon, so if I appear cynical it's with good reason. I'm not saying it'll never happen, only that I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes.
Do any of the pro Chinese actually own one and more importantly as 5 year old one with few miles on .All these reviews are on brand new .At least on SLUK after praising it Iggy did actually give longevity against vespa gts a mention .
Has been maxi tours wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:44 am
Do any of the pro Chinese actually own one and more importantly as 5 year old one with few miles on .All these reviews are on brand new .At least on SLUK after praising it Iggy did actually give longevity against vespa gts a mention .
We have in the past. The tale of our 2006 Jinlun is well documented, and was an extremely positive experience. (And I suspect that Jaz is sick of hearing it )
That was 12 years ago, too. Chinese bikes have improved since then.
If I brought one I'd never be able to go to Honda Bromsgrove again with Soichiro Honda on the wall watching me drink coffee .Just wouldn't feel right lol
capitano wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm
Chinese bikes have improved since then.
I wish I had a quid for every time I have heard this
'course I remember the Jinlun... I also had a very positive experience with a knackered Honda C50, that I rescued from a hedge and fitted with a brand new 110cc Lifan motor. I commuted to Leeds on it for three years and sold the beast - still going strong - after 10000 miles of very hard use. Throttle on the stop, 50mph on the A-roads every day with a 15st rider up top and it never missed a beat. But (there's always a 'but') back then I knew three other Cub riders who had broken these engines (usually the gearbox) within a few hundred miles. And set against this rather good experience has to be set all the other Chinese horrors I've owned or tried to fix for other people.
I'll take your word for it Ged, I won't go so far as to test the hypothesis by actually buying one
Many Hondas and Triumphs are made in Asia, KTM in India for many models there is BMW using kymco motors, many of the cheap chinese 125s are based on old Honda and Yamaha motors, it boils down to what companies want at a price, you pay peanuts you get shite and a bit more can get some nice bikes, Royal Enfield upped there game and have exploded all of a sudden, Benelli are making decent budget bikes, look at reviews of Zontes bikes and even MCN saying in many ways they are better than the big names in many ways, plenty of reviews singing their praises its only a matter of time, i paid more for my Honda msx than i did for my tnt 125,my honda needed better tires and suspension snd seat upgrades just to make it acceptable, the tnt was way cheaper and was way better in many respects only needing better plugs and plug caps which was peanuts to swap over, it was faster, more gears, better seat, suspension etc its only the custom market focussing in on the grom and monkey that they have been a bigger hit as they have the pedigree and were the original maker but i would still happily buy a chinese bike if it filled my needs and had a good rep.
My nephew bought a Sinnis Terrain two years ago. Its a 125 adventure bike and very good it is too. Cost was just £2499 otr. He has covered just over 12,000 totally trouble free miles in that time. It has a two year warranty. The Sinnis uses a Suzuki 125 motor built in China at the same factory as Yamaha, Suzuki and BMW bikes. Their HQ is in Bournemouth and the quality of their bikes is frankly just amazing with a finish as good as a Japanese bike. Yeah, I know, I didn't expect that one but it's true. They have dealers around the country offering good back up. The brand has a 14 year history in the UK.
Here's an interesting review. By the way you can watch review after review about Sinnis and you won't find anything bad said about them anywhere.
I'll be taking over the servicing of his bike later this year. I'll do a video.
Regarding the RA scoot. I've had the chance to thoroughly look over this 300. Couldn't fault its design or construction. The finish on it was stunningly good. The bike is just about all metal construction with everything fitting nicely. I took the side panels off and the hidden bits all looked fine. In many ways it looked easier to service than my GTS Vespa. I prefer the RA to Scomadi.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'!
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Data wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 am
The Sinnis uses a Suzuki 125 motor built in China at the same factory as Yamaha, Suzuki and BMW bikes. Their HQ is in Bournemouth
Just a couple of amendments. I wouldn't normally bother, but if you are looking after the bike in future, they may help.
The Terrain uses the ZS125 motor, the same as the Sinnis Hoodlum and Akuma models. The ZS125 is based upon a Yamaha YBR125. It isn't exactly the same. The Sinnis Apache and Blade use the Suzuki GS125 based motor that is virtually identical to the Suzuki one. Might help if you are looking for information for servicing.
The headquarters are in Portslade, near to Brighton on the coast. It's a couple of miles from my house.
Its okay saying made in same factory but what have to consider is are they using same quality materials ,same tolerances on machining ,same quality control as the name brand on the production runs. I'm not saying sinnis are not any good but personally I think its misleading. Those guys at Motors for masses do that .