Page 1 of 1

What to buy?

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:18 pm
by Tracer
Hello all,

My X-City 250 has reached the end of its life.

I’m now after a new scooter. I mostly use to get to the train station and back (10 mile round trip), nipping to the shops and perhaps twice a month commute to central London (120 miles round trip).

It needs to be minimum euro 3 and if possible euro 4 I’d prefer it to have ABS too.

Budget is £2000 to £3000.

I’m looking at (low mileage):

SH300
Forza 300
X max 400
Silverwing.
(X max 300 seems to be out my price range or ridiculously high mileage)

I generally do all my own servicing so also need to factor in how easy it is to work on, this is the part I don’t know about so any input is welcome.

Thanks.

Re: What to buy?

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:08 pm
by Phil
Hi Tracer.

My SYM MAXSYM 400i is for sale. Its 2013 in black. Medium sized Top Box. Its covered less than 2000 dry miles. MOT'd until June 2022. Service history. Its absolutely pristine. I'm looking for around £2500. You wont be disappointed. I'm in Lincoln. Phil

Re: What to buy?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:15 am
by MrGrumpy
A Silverwing would seem to be a bit OTT for your requirements!

Re: What to buy?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:04 pm
by StephenC
For your commute a full-fat (~15hp) 125cc would do but for the big round-trip I think you need at least a 300 so as not to thrash the life of it.

I cannot recommend a Forza within your price range as even the 2017-on 300 is a bit low on power for long distance, high speed work. So I suggest something not on your list: Kawasaki J300SE. Bike Trader has a few 2019 models listed for just under £3k.

Apart from easily being the best looking scooter ever made (I will accept no dissention on this point!!!) it has 28hp, ABS and decent storage. I also found it to be a hoot to ride, feeling like a grown-up's Runner VXR.

The downsides are that it has a fairly upright seating position (you'll be used to that though), short service intervals at 3k miles, and it's down on average mpg (I used to get 76) compared to newer machines like the Xmax 300 (mine gave 95). It was developed from the Kymco Downtown and one of the big advantages over that is that access to oily or leccy bits is easier. It is also better for those not blessed with being lanky, if that matters.

Re: What to buy?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:24 pm
by Deleted User 18446
You should be able to get a burgman 400 with abs in budget I wouldn't worry too much about milage

Re: What to buy?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 pm
by Tracer
Thanks all for the advice.
Yesterday I bought a SH300 on a 17 plate with 5500 miles on it. Not because I wanted a Honda over anything else, but the price was good and it was in great condition and had a few extras on it.
Rode it 90 home miles yesterday. So far I’m impressed with it, apart from the smart key, seems like a bit of trouble with no benefit over a normal key.
Also the indicator switch gear is in a funny position but I guess after a few weeks I’ll be used to it.

Anyway, once again thanks for the help and advice.