Page 1 of 3

HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:56 am
by Data
Alright guys (girls too), who uses Hi-Flo oil filters?

Are they any good? I always use OEM parts for just about everything. I do that because OEM is thoroughly tested to ensure they meet the manufacturers standards for oil flow, maintaining oil pressure, longevity without the innards of the filter breaking up etc etc. However, recently I services a couple of Vespa GTS's including mine, and the Piaggio filters have changed in design. They maintain the original part number but they no longer have the tightening or loosening aid on the end. This means you can easily damage the casing of the filter. They are very thin metal, like most these days.

So ordered a couple of Hi-Flo which come with free delivery in 2-3 days from MPW sales. They seem to tick all the boxes and are cheaper too by some way. Thoughts/experience anyone? Since I've already ordered them, it's a bit late if you lot don't like em! :lol:

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 pm
by XP500FUN
I spoke to a chap who works for them who swears ( not suprisingly !!! ) they are better than stock, OEM ones.

But I watched a Youtube video that opened a few up and they came about midway but OK.

You can get the 204 for a silverwing etc for around £5.25 ish delivered with amazon I see.

I must admit as the Honda ones seem to be around 15 notes now I am going to use a Hi Flo next time.

For the cash at the right price I think they are Ok.

Edit- just ordered one for £5.25 delivered on amazon prime. Can`t see how they can make any money on that though !!!

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:40 pm
by Symcity
I used nothing but Hiflo oil and air filters in my recently sold sh300i which had covered twenty thousand miles - no issues whatsoever - I’ve already got a Hiflo oil and Hiflo clutch filter ready for when my nc700d integra next requires a service

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:29 pm
by Funkycowie
I always use HiFlo and never have had an issue.

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:58 pm
by poldark
Funkycowie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:29 pm I always use HiFlo and never have had an issue.
Same here.

I have no specific technical knowledge but they're widely used and considered by many (based on forum posts) a good option.

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 pm
by DTO
On my gts 300 I’ve used OEM Piaggio then hiflo HF183 .
But have brought a Champion one this time from pedparts there a good price .

https://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/3102 ... c-to-300cc

Both made in Thailand and look identical , Metal seems strong enough.

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 pm
by capitano
XP500FUN wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 pm I spoke to a chap who works for them who swears ( not suprisingly !!! ) they are better than stock, OEM ones.
I used HiFlo filters for years on various bikes, simply because they were readily available over the counter at Wemoto just down the road from me.

When I ran the W800 Facebook page, my co-admin was a Kawasaki mechanic of some note. (He has his own classic bike workshop now.)

I started out using all OEM Kawasaki parts on my W800 but he explained that HiFlo filters were not only cheaper but better than OEM. He used HiFlo filters on all his bikes.

I trusted him and switched back to using HiFlo for the next 8 years, smug that I'd been doing the right thing for ages, albeit in ignorance. :lol: 8-)

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am
by Data
This is really good news. Thanks fellas!

I did note that Hi-Flow have a TUV rating which I know is very good. It means they have worked hard to get the standard right. Apparently not many filters have such a rating. That's one of the things that convinced me to order. You lot have just confirmed they're ok. I'm actually a non-oem parts virgin so this is all new to me! Thanks for your comments. ;)

Got to agree with XP that it's hard to see how they make any money at the prices they sell them at.

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 am
by mottza
Got a hiflo on the Forza.

Re: HI-FLO oil filters...

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:09 am
by XP500FUN
I did a bit of a naughty yesterday and left the old filter on and popped in some new Castrol power one 10w40.

But the Honda filter has not been on for too long and will change the Hi Flo and the oil again in 2K.

Still got to tackle the rear drive oil though.

I was waiting to borrow a long spout oil can but the spout turned out to be a little bent !!! oooeer.

The oil that came out after 3K looked fine, though a little darker of course.

Still not sure weather to just go with a cheap 5w40 synthetic next time or stick with Motul or Castrol ?

Had a right going on getting the notoriously soft sump plug out, but we luckily found an old 24mm 6 sided socket so will buy a new plug for next time.

The Bike sounded lovely with the new oil in, I was mabye imagining it, but it did sound better and very sweet.