Page 1 of 1

Bit of non scooter help etc please.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:50 am
by XP500FUN
Hi I went in to my local garge as theres been a growing shakey and rattley going on seeming as if its at the top of the left front shocker of my Peugeot Expert 2006 old type MK2 van.

I said I thought it was at the top of the shock, but they said its the track rod end.

Its odd it reacts and knocks to bumps etc but also the engine revs etc vibes through.

Anyway having bnow had the track rod ends done its still eacatcly the same.

Anyone have any thoughts re what it might be please.

I see there is a a top axle/shock fitting and bush bearing type set up.

I did think it was that myself. Just in case anyone might have an idea please before they do anything else.

Thanks.

Re: Bit of non scooter help etc please.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 am
by roadster
If engine vibrations are also more noticeable perhaps the problem could be a failing engine mounting on that side. If the engine can move more than it should the exhaust system can also knock on something close to it. There might also be an engine steady bar but I'm not familiar with the layout so just guessing really.

Re: Bit of non scooter help etc please.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:36 am
by Data
I'm not familiar with your van type but usually there is a front shock absorber strut which also carries the fron suspension spring. This strut turns as you steer the vehicle. You may have either a broken spring which can be hard to detect if it's the very top coil that's gone, or the top strut mounting has worn out. It's often referred to as a 'doughnut'. It looks a bit like one (a doughnut) and it's under the front suspension turret at the top of the strut. It's made of rubber and steel and has a bearing inside to accommodate the turning aspect of it's function. They can fail and when they do it can cause the type of issues you are experiencing. Quite easy to replace but you need a spring compressor which can be hired from auto shops or you can buy them cheaply. However, since you don't know exactly where the issues is coming from I'd hold fire until a proper diagnosis is made. Shouldn't be hard to find out what's wrong.

Question: does the vehicle bounce evenly at the front or is there an uneveness as you brake hard for example to come to a stop?

Re: Bit of non scooter help etc please.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 pm
by XP500FUN
Thank you people I do think its that Data, I did mention it when I first went, but I`m not very techy.

And how do you say, no I think you are wrong in a garage !!!

But I see you can buy the top metqal fitting the round bearing etc fits in to, and the bearing.

Its £51 posted, the two bilstein I think, ? so going to buy it myself and ask them to fit it for me, hopefully cheapley.

Really appreciate the advice etc.

It brakes etc OK, or did as since the track rod ends went on its carreering to the right big time though was tracked etc.

Re: Bit of non scooter help etc please.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:41 am
by Data
Good, but bear in mind it could still be something else that's causing it. It could even be the strut itself that has an issue but that's not quite as common unless the strut itself is leaking. That can cause the damper rod to rattle in it's case and knock too. Let us know how you get on.