Page 1 of 1

Age of helmets.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:52 pm
by smeghead
I understand that you’re supposed to change a helmet at around 5 years. I bought a new one In 2015 and as it’s not been used for a couple of years I thought I’d clean it up before my new scooter arrives. Upon removing the inner liner to wash I found a date sticker, it was actually made in 2012, 3 years before I bought it. What actually counts here? The amount of time it’s been used or it’s manufactured date? If it’s the manufactured date then buying one already 3 years old is a bit of a scam.

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:58 am
by Eoin75
Depends on the quality of the helmet, ie how much it costs, as I'm sure the cheaper ones you have to change after 2 years

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:19 am
by MrGrumpy
I recall that Arai state something along the lines of replace after 5 years from when you bought it or 7 years from date of manufacture.

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:23 am
by Data
Technically your helmet is done! Using it does accelerate its degradation process more quickly due to heat, sunlight etc. But even in the box they degrade but just take a bit longer so that's why it's generally 5 years when in use, 7 years from date of manufacturer if stored. Those are the general rules that apply if you want your head to have maximum protection.

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:29 am
by Jimo
Not much in my head these days so the Shoei helmet I bought 2 years ago @ £400 should be good enough for a few more years - other circumstances permitting. When not in use it’s kept in an ‘Oxford ‘ bag.

Jim

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 am
by smeghead
Looks like I'm going to be looking for a new one!

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 am
by SH125Paul
Within reason, Time out the box, daily use...
then again alot of the mid price stuff has come a long way in 7 years, so worth something new...
Check out HJC... maybe a deal on last seasons designs, along as they have not been sat kn a box for a few years....
otherwise you are back to square one...

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm
by mottza
Wouldn't touch HJC after I found loose screws and blurred screws.

Nolan I find is a good fit and not too expensive.

Re: Age of helmets.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:19 pm
by Stibbs
My helmet is 63 years old. Still works for me :x