Page 1 of 2

XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:33 pm
by RobiXmax
Greetings all.
So it looks like for a number of reasons I may be hanging on to the Xmax longer term for a number of reaso ns (one of which happens to be for the rather good one that I am enjoying it immensely at the moment) and would like to hear if anyone has experience of an Xmax with the Akropovic exhaust fitted? Sound, engine note, any discernable difference in performance etc? I have no real issues with the the stock exhaust (unlike the aberation on the 400) other than it's a bit dull, and do think the Akropovic in silver looks good,but of course not cheap.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm
by MrGrumpy
You might find before and after power/torque graphs on the Akrapovic website (they have them for most versions of the Tmax - no idea about the Xmax), but read the graphs carefully - for the latest Tmax it shows that the biggest gain is at 8000 rpm, but I can't see any way of getting to 8000 revs. I've never exceeded 6k myself. They seem wildly expensive for what may only be a small gain. On the latest Tmax the gain is only around 0.5bhp at normal speeds. And personally I hate loud exhausts, but that's a matter of individual preference!

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 pm
by RobiXmax
Yes I do agree about the price, that would certainly depend on what I could get one for. I too don't like the very loud or look of some aftermarket exhausts (way too anti social!) but a couple of twin cylinder bikes I've heard with the Akpropovic do sound quite fruity without being too loud or obnoxious.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 pm
by horobags
Ive had a few Akra pipes on bikes, and cheaper ones too. The Akrapovic isn't cheap but by far the best. I had one on a sh 300 a couple of years ago and although gaining 1 hp it totally transformed the character of the scoot. Not loud but deep, it really was a pleasure. I also read where a cheaper end can ( wont mention the name) actually lost a little power , so you have to be carefull when choosing.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:29 pm
by DTO
Had one fitted to a new x-max 400 , Noisy , lost low down power , Smelt horrid as it smoked when I stopped and had black tar stuff leaking from seams on exhaust , Would pop on deceleration and cut out a few times when coming to a stop .
Had standard exhaust fitted back on and ran great again.
So basically hated it and put me off ever fitting a aftermarket exhaust .
Sorry to be so negative :!:

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:57 am
by muddyfox
Mivv a decent exhaust. Video compares original with theirs.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:02 am
by Deleted User 7142
Have thought about having the Akrapovic on my X-max ever since i purchased new a couple of years ago,i do have most of the genuine accessories already fitted but i just couldn't justify the high price of the exhaust.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:28 am
by Ralph
Heard one about 12 month back, was up at Ribbelhead,
thought it wa a Nanx Norton, was very supprised when
a old guy on a X-max turned up.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:57 pm
by horobags
Its a big single at the end of the day.

Re: XMax 300 exhaust

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm
by RobiXmax
Interesting replies. The Akro looks and sounds good but is very pricey. I see Scorpion has launched one for the 300 which looks very similar and is a couple of hundred quid cheaper. According to its own telemetry, they claim an extra 1.5hp and nearly half the weight of the stock item. Sounds ok on the video but have never heard one in real life. Any thoughts on Scorpion quality gratefully received..