Page 1 of 5
Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:40 am
by stephencd1
Picked my Helix up on Monday (from a chap on here) and rode it home. Beautiful day to ride through Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, over the Cat & Fiddle, down to Macclesfield, skirt Northwich, clip Chester and finally home. The first few miles I thought "the Jetski" was trying to kill me. Bloody hell it handled awful. All over the road. It was frightening to go above 30mph. But I pressed on and I either relaxed into it or something freed off in the suspension because it became a whole lot better.
Now she's home, it's time for a bloody good clean, then up on the ramp.
Front end suspension stripped and lubricated, brake freed off, pads and fluid changed.
Today it's the back end, see what's going on with the rear brake. Tyres deffinatley in need of a fresh pair I'm thinking Bridgestone ML's (unless you know better) and the wheels powder coated.
I'll take a few more photos today for your pleasure.
Any Helix advice much appreciated.


Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 am
by Deleted User 7077
M mm who do we know who had a red US spec import model who lives in Derbyshire .

Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:28 am
by Alanzzg
Has been maxi tours wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 am
M mm who do we know who had a red US spec import model who lives in Derbyshire .
BOB
Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:38 am
by muddyfox
Congratulations on your purchase. Keep us updated.
Possible tyre supplier
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-find ... zLN39YnIWf
Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:24 am
by stephencd1
I'm pondering those Dunlop Scootsmarts, but not at those prices
Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:28 am
by stephencd1
Here we go
Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:07 pm
by horobags
thats a lovely Helix, didn't think Bob would have parted with it. Congrats!!

Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 pm
by Deleted User 7077
horobags wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:07 pm
thats a lovely Helix, didn't think Bob would have parted with it. Congrats!!
I'm guessing it needed a new rear tyre so had to go .

Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:10 pm
by kav
Just looked at my notes from when I used a Helix as a London commuter (I've had two) one day may have another if I ever find one with low mileage - big end went at 28k miles on the last. I fitted a Bridgestone ML50; only had a thousand miles on it before needed replacing (but remembered it stuck to the road like the proverbial blanket). Then went Continental 3k miles but notes says was appalling in wet (I remember that, no kidding I stopped because thought I had a flat, slipping and sliding all over the place). I settled on Bridgestone ML16 5k miles (think I fitted three) before replacement great in wet and dry. That said no idea if those spec of tyres still exist its been 5 years since my last Helix.
As to the front end, can be interesting always took a while to get used to it again when moving from motorbike back to the Helix. But motorbikes came and went(usually within a year) and the Helix(s) remained for 13 years.
Re: Finally got my Helix
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:14 pm
by kav
I also had the wheels powder coated - went for black (over the silver) and thought they looked great; but I like black wheels.
Forgot to say Bridgestone on the front got over 10k miles.