Wheels off, stripped and taken to Bobs Tyres https://www.bobsbiketyres.co.uk/index.php for stove enameling and new Dunlop Scootsmarts. Should be back toward the end of the week.
Great job Stephen, pity it’s so awkward to get at.....but well worth doing.
The lift really helps though, quite a bit of clean up required? You’re doing well....
Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70
That's a very decent Helix you've bought there... when we toured on them Bob's was the only one we didn't have trouble with!
Congratulations on binning those wooden tyres too. I've tried pretty much all of the available options on my two, and one thing I don't miss about currently not Helix-ing is the horrendous rear tyre life. Boppers and ML50s were the longest lived, at about 3000-3500 miles, while still offering decent levels of grip. Others were worse, Contis (and others) went for 2000-2500, right down to the Metzeler ME17 I destroyed in 1000 miles.
Seeing this thread reminds me of my vague plans to pull my '86 Fusion to bits and get the frame powder coated while I have the DN-01 to ride.
Well after finding I'd been sent the wrong brake shoes (easy enough job for another day)She's ready to take out for a shake down. Just waiting for the monsoon to end.
So finally out for a shake down run.
All good news, she's not trying to kill me anymore (which is nice) So it's either the new tyres, the new shock absorbers or the rebuilt front suspension (or a combination of everything) that's cured the wayward handling. Very surefooted on the country lanes now. Out on the motorway she headed up to 77, but this felt very light in the steering department. A lot better at a rock steady 70.
I'd changed the seat for a lot newer one, as the original had been recovered and was very lumpy. Still needs a backrest.
Now to get a few miles in.