Page 2 of 5

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:28 pm
by StephenC
Found it. It is made by Jiangsu Eos Vehicle Ltd, it's original name is the Puma and the base model (of 3) can be yours for £2675, arriving in 16 days from order. I've no idea about imports but I imagine there's more to pay for shipping, type approval, whatever.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/624261772 ... ctric.html

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 am
by roadster
Even if only some of the engineering in modern cars was transferred to scooters the results could be remarkable. For example the electronically controlled epicyclic geartrain in my car could easily replace the power sapping variator/belt/centrifugal clutch/reduction gearset of the scooter. It just needs scaling down and repackaging. i.e. Investment!

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:19 pm
by MrGrumpy
But the current CVT set up is CHEAP so we're stuck with it! And its light and pretty simple.

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:20 pm
by Deleted User 4154
MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:16 pm Though China has been churning out electric scoots for the domestic market by the 100,000 for the last decade, so they ought to have got the technology sorted....or is that wishful thinking?
My cousin bought a no-brand Chinese electric ped/scooter thing about 10 years ago. It was one about the size and look of a 50, had a number plate and needed insurance etc. The technology was proper stone age - a massive lead acid battery and a cheapo speed controller. Plus the usual awful build quality/lack of PDI (came in a crate) and so on.

It had a claimed range of 25 miles from new, which it never once achieved. Top speed was allegedly 30mph; it could just hit 25 on the flat and less on hills. Naturally the 'dealer' was a one containerload fly-by-night, and went quiet very quickly indeed. After a year the range was down to just over 10 miles. It had a battery meter near the (pointless) speedo which had five lights... you could ride for 8 miles on full, then suddenly the meter would go from five to one flashing light, which meant you had about 30 seconds worth of power left.

I had a CItroen C15 van at the time, and he rang me several times after unexpectedly running out of electricity. The final time he rang me I told him I'd love to come and pick him up, but I was in Whitby scoffing fish and chips, so it might be a while :lol:

He got shot of it not long after that... in addition to the failings above, he'd also had to replace the cheese metal bearings in the front wheel and repaired the wiring when the lights stopped working. He had it about 18 months, and managed IIRC 2500 very slow miles, and lost about 2/3rds of the £1500 purchase price on selling.

Frankly, the economics of that - coupled with the overall piss poor ownership experience - are insane. At the same time I was doing my commuting on Aprilia 125 I'd got out of someone's garden for £80, spent £50 getting it through the MOT and - memory fails me here - but I definitely did more than 2500 miles on that before selling it on at a modest profit.

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:34 pm
by MrGrumpy
But things have moved on immensely in the last 10 years, even in China, or probably, especially in China. No-one does Lead-Acid batteries these days. But you are quite right to point out how risky it is to buy something from a 'Del-boy' type importer. As I said before, I'd be much more confident about buying something like this from Lexmoto or Sinnis, CFMoto, or that renowned Chinese brand, Benelli!

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:18 pm
by Dogsbody
On Firefly site it says they stock brake pads, all other parts being obtained from manufacturer. So how about a couple of months waiting for the rear light lens you broke backing it into the garage?

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:40 pm
by StephenC
Early adopter risks, I guess. But still, ignoring some of that for now..

- The scoot looks decent,
- It has storage and USB charging ports
- Its own charging is from a 3-pin plug which would be the best option for me right now, and if
- The performance of the motor and the battery are reasonably close to what's claimed,

then we are possibly seeing the beginning of electric maxi-scooters suitable for commuting, if not touring.

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm
by Deleted User 4154
MrGrumpy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:34 pm But things have moved on immensely in the last 10 years, even in China, or probably, especially in China. No-one does Lead-Acid batteries these days. But you are quite right to point out how risky it is to buy something from a 'Del-boy' type importer. As I said before, I'd be much more confident about buying something like this from Lexmoto or Sinnis, CFMoto, or that renowned Chinese brand, Benelli!
True, lead acid has gone the way of the dinosaurs in EVs, although my point was really that at the time that scooter was sold, lead acid traction batteries had been around forever and they still couldn't make the thing work properly. If this machine was imported by an established name, and actually supported by them, e.g. spares held in the UK etc. - then as you say that might help. But anything carrying a CFMoto badge gets nothing but suspicion from me; I've seen enough of their shite engineering to last a lifetime!

All things considered, I still wouldn't go near one of these.

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 am
by capitano
StephenC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:40 pm Early adopter risks, I guess. But still, ignoring some of that for now..

- The scoot looks decent,
- It has storage and USB charging ports
- Its own charging is from a 3-pin plug which would be the best option for me right now, and if
- The performance of the motor and the battery are reasonably close to what's claimed,

then we are possibly seeing the beginning of electric maxi-scooters suitable for commuting, if not touring.
The CPx is probably the closest thing to being of real , practical use.

I've had a god look around the prototype at the NEC 2019, and it was nicely built, too.

I'd love a Zero, and that desire was by no means diminished on a test ride, but if/when I become an adopter it will probably be some future version of this.

https://supersoco.co.uk/super-soco-cpx/




Image

Re: Interesting Electric ???

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:29 am
by XP500FUN
It does look OK for the cash, odd china issues of course.

But I suppose we can`t go too Electric anyway for now, as on the cusp of not enough Electricity in the UK at present.

I like the sound of the torgue generated on a larger scooter/bike.

But the better makes of these, well the prices, are grim. Precludes most of us.

I must admit I would miss the feel of a real engine too.

Hydrogen is the way to go, still not sure why its sidelined, and nicely gets you away form all of the battery contents issues etc too.