Age of helmets.
- smeghead
- Benefactor
- Posts: 2155
- Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 am
- Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring
- Location: Doncaster
Age of helmets.
I understand that you’re supposed to change a helmet at around 5 years. I bought a new one In 2015 and as it’s not been used for a couple of years I thought I’d clean it up before my new scooter arrives. Upon removing the inner liner to wash I found a date sticker, it was actually made in 2012, 3 years before I bought it. What actually counts here? The amount of time it’s been used or it’s manufactured date? If it’s the manufactured date then buying one already 3 years old is a bit of a scam.
-
Eoin75
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am
- Current Ride: Honda forza 125
Re: Age of helmets.
Depends on the quality of the helmet, ie how much it costs, as I'm sure the cheaper ones you have to change after 2 years
-
MrGrumpy
- Benefactor
- Posts: 7359
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 pm
- Current Ride: ADV350 Tmax mk3
- Location: Cumbria
Re: Age of helmets.
I recall that Arai state something along the lines of replace after 5 years from when you bought it or 7 years from date of manufacture.
- Data
- Benefactor
- Posts: 3312
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm
- Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
- Location: Starfleet Command, North Essex Branch, UK
Re: Age of helmets.
Technically your helmet is done! Using it does accelerate its degradation process more quickly due to heat, sunlight etc. But even in the box they degrade but just take a bit longer so that's why it's generally 5 years when in use, 7 years from date of manufacturer if stored. Those are the general rules that apply if you want your head to have maximum protection.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! 
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
- Jimo
- Benefactor
- Posts: 664
- Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 pm
- Current Ride: 92 Helix
- Location: Fakenham, Norfolk, UK
Re: Age of helmets.
Not much in my head these days so the Shoei helmet I bought 2 years ago @ £400 should be good enough for a few more years - other circumstances permitting. When not in use it’s kept in an ‘Oxford ‘ bag.
Jim
Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70
- smeghead
- Benefactor
- Posts: 2155
- Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 am
- Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring
- Location: Doncaster
Re: Age of helmets.
Looks like I'm going to be looking for a new one!
-
SH125Paul
- Benefactor
- Posts: 1983
- Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 1:03 pm
- Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT
- Location: SE London
Re: Age of helmets.
Within reason, Time out the box, daily use...
then again alot of the mid price stuff has come a long way in 7 years, so worth something new...
Check out HJC... maybe a deal on last seasons designs, along as they have not been sat kn a box for a few years....
otherwise you are back to square one...
then again alot of the mid price stuff has come a long way in 7 years, so worth something new...
Check out HJC... maybe a deal on last seasons designs, along as they have not been sat kn a box for a few years....
otherwise you are back to square one...
- mottza
- Admin
- Posts: 3958
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:28 pm
- Current Ride: Yamaha MT 07 AMT
- Location: Essex Sunshine Coast
- Contact:
Re: Age of helmets.
Wouldn't touch HJC after I found loose screws and blurred screws.
Nolan I find is a good fit and not too expensive.
Nolan I find is a good fit and not too expensive.
2025 Yamaha MT-07 2025 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125
-
Stibbs
- Benefactor
- Posts: 536
- Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:42 pm
- Current Ride: 2024 Forza 350
- Location: The Sunshine Coast of the European Union