Does this mean that there will be a scooter fitted with Warp drive before long???? I want one!Data wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:37 pm Yes Grumpy, and I understand that Starfleet are showing off their new hover scooters on the Starfleet stand. I'll be there!
Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
-
MrGrumpy
- Benefactor
- Posts: 7359
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 pm
- Current Ride: ADV350 Tmax mk3
- Location: Cumbria
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
- Data
- Benefactor
- Posts: 3312
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm
- Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
- Location: Starfleet Command, North Essex Branch, UK
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
No, the Dept of Transport has banned 'warp drive' scooters. They don't want the roads to be bent and warped out of shape when we "engage" the drive! Oh, wait a minute, they already are! Bugger! 
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! 
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
-
MrGrumpy
- Benefactor
- Posts: 7359
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 pm
- Current Ride: ADV350 Tmax mk3
- Location: Cumbria
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
I guess hitting a pothole at Warp 9.5 could cause significant warp field instability with potential loss of structural integrity which may cause the warp core to be ejected involuntarily....Data wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am No, the Dept of Transport has banned 'warp drive' scooters. They don't want the roads to be bent and warped out of shape when we "engage" the drive! Oh, wait a minute, they already are! Bugger!![]()
- Data
- Benefactor
- Posts: 3312
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm
- Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
- Location: Starfleet Command, North Essex Branch, UK
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Yes, I've had that involuntary ejection thing! Disappointment all round...MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:37 pmI guess hitting a pothole at Warp 9.5 could cause significant warp field instability with potential loss of structural integrity which may cause the warp core to be ejected involuntarily....Data wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am No, the Dept of Transport has banned 'warp drive' scooters. They don't want the roads to be bent and warped out of shape when we "engage" the drive! Oh, wait a minute, they already are! Bugger!![]()
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! 
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
- poldark
- Posts: 1476
- Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 am
- Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]
- Location: St Albans
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Just checked out the price for NEC - f**k me £25 on the door!!
If I grow my beard do you reckon I'll pass for 65+ and only have to pay £15, or do they check your ID?
If I grow my beard do you reckon I'll pass for 65+ and only have to pay £15, or do they check your ID?
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)


-
MrGrumpy
- Benefactor
- Posts: 7359
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 pm
- Current Ride: ADV350 Tmax mk3
- Location: Cumbria
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
...and then you have to pay a fortune to park if you go by car, and the food and drink inside is wildly expensive, so its not a cheap day out!
-
Snail
- Posts: 326
- Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 pm
- Current Ride: Burgman
- Location: Gloucester
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
We would love to go but the cost is ridiculous, compared to say caravan and motorhome show at less than a tenner with free parking, yes i know the later has huge amounts of visitors and exhibitors
- Data
- Benefactor
- Posts: 3312
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm
- Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
- Location: Starfleet Command, North Essex Branch, UK
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Yes, it depends what you want out of the day.
I rock up, pay my £15 on the door, I don't book in advance because of variables that can creep into life that could cause me to bail out. I spend the first two hours wandering around to get the feel of the place and find everything, then go for lunch and a pint with the guys. On the point about lunch, never had a bad meal upstairs and the prices, well they are what they are and not much different to many other places around where I live. I'm not a tight arse so it doesn't bother me. Suitably refreshed I begin the quest for knowledge on the bikes that I'm interested in. As an engineer I'm fascinated to talk with any other engineers that are on the stands. There are quite often a good few who can converse in the language I'm used to so I can discuss the finer points of crossplane engines, mineral coatings, offset cranks etc And of course, it's just bloody good fun seeing all the nice shiny bikes and having a "proper blokes day out!"...lol.
Hoping to see quite a few of you there even if Meldrew isn't going. Shame, it would be nice to put a face to the "moans" lol.
I rock up, pay my £15 on the door, I don't book in advance because of variables that can creep into life that could cause me to bail out. I spend the first two hours wandering around to get the feel of the place and find everything, then go for lunch and a pint with the guys. On the point about lunch, never had a bad meal upstairs and the prices, well they are what they are and not much different to many other places around where I live. I'm not a tight arse so it doesn't bother me. Suitably refreshed I begin the quest for knowledge on the bikes that I'm interested in. As an engineer I'm fascinated to talk with any other engineers that are on the stands. There are quite often a good few who can converse in the language I'm used to so I can discuss the finer points of crossplane engines, mineral coatings, offset cranks etc And of course, it's just bloody good fun seeing all the nice shiny bikes and having a "proper blokes day out!"...lol.
Hoping to see quite a few of you there even if Meldrew isn't going. Shame, it would be nice to put a face to the "moans" lol.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! 
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
Been riding for 55 years & owned too many bikes to list here...
- mottza
- Admin
- Posts: 3958
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:28 pm
- Current Ride: Yamaha MT 07 AMT
- Location: Essex Sunshine Coast
- Contact:
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
Well he'll see me there 
2025 Yamaha MT-07 2025 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125
- EvilRacer329
- Posts: 204
- Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 pm
- Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX
Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?
I'll be there - I've been every year without fail since 2009, and sometimes hit EICMA and Intermot as well, but I'm a special kind of weirdo. There's a journalistic angle, and I'm interested in everything. Plus I love the atmosphere, although I wouldn't mind it being a bit less crowded. I keep meaning to book time off and go during the week, but by November I've always spent all of my vacation time!
Confirmed, food is garbage - pack a lunch instead. Sit on everything, keep an open mind etc. I don't know that you get so many bargains these days - not on stuff you actually want - but it is a great way to try on gear that you might otherwise have to guess at size-wise and order online. I'm a big fan of Knox, and they will measure you up and tailor you anything from their range for free at the show.
I've been known to drive, but I try to ride if I can. The traffic is just too crazy, even if you go early...
Nick
Confirmed, food is garbage - pack a lunch instead. Sit on everything, keep an open mind etc. I don't know that you get so many bargains these days - not on stuff you actually want - but it is a great way to try on gear that you might otherwise have to guess at size-wise and order online. I'm a big fan of Knox, and they will measure you up and tailor you anything from their range for free at the show.
I've been known to drive, but I try to ride if I can. The traffic is just too crazy, even if you go early...
Nick


